2015-03-24

Growing in Pure Rabbit Manure

I've always used rabbit manure in the garden but thought I'd try starting seeds in pure rabbit manure and various mixtures to see what happens.

Rabbit manure is made up of round hard pellets that appear to be made up of plant fiber particles. It only smells if mixed with urine and gets wet. Rabbit manure is nothing like cat or dog scat where you need to really hold your nose.

Here's a popcorn stalk growing in pure rabbit manure. I tried growing 4 different pots but only one made it. The manure doesn't smell but it gets moldy quick and I think it's a bit too hot. However, if you can get it going it grows great.
Please ignore the crazy filipina
yellow popcorn in 100% fresh rabbit manure & moringa tree seedling in soil on top of manure.

The moringa tree on the right, is in a pot with 50/50 potting soil on top of a cup half full of fresh manure. I had 50% success on this one too. The manure was too rich for one of them.

So, my conclusion is that fresh rabbit manure is too strong for starting seeds. I will just start seeds in straight potting soil or completely composted rabbit manure. Once the plants have a good start, liquid fertilizer made from fresh rabbit manure tea should be fine as a booster. I'll continue using the manure as a dressing around my garden plants. I'll do more articles on this subject as my garden gets going this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment