2015-05-11

Mallow - Malva parviflora

When I was a boy my friends and I would often pick the immature fruit off the cheeseweed and eat them raw. We'd collect hand fulls of them, peel off the outer covering and pop them into our mouth. The flavor was a bit sweet like carrot but no after taste.  Some cultures make a green sauce out of the mallow leaves and they can be boiled like spinach. I'll have to do more experimenting.

Mallow grows in soil that has been disturbed. It has a deep tap root and in our area over winters and is one of the first greens that emerge in the spring. If you pull them from the top, the branches typically break off and it keeps coming back. That's fine if you want a steady supply of greens for your rabbits but I use a grub hoe to dig deep and get the root. Rabbits can eat all parts of the plant. Most of my rabbits will eat at least some mallow but some of them obviously like it better than others. I never only feed mallow, as always, give variety.

I've read that mallow is poisonous for some livestock such as sheep and horses but sounds like it depends on the nitrogen levels. I've never had any problem feeding mallow to rabbits but if I feed more than they can eat, it gets left in the cage. I just throw any left over in the compost.

You can dry the entire plant and store it for winter hay. Fresh or dry be sure to mix with several other plants. When feeding without pellets, I always offer at least five different plants at one time to my rabbits. Keeps them healthy and happy.

Mallow
Malva parviflora
Has large tap root

1 comment:

  1. Here in SE Iowa we planted it as a specimen, flowering plant because deer would not eat it. Sure enough, a rabbit chewed a 2' tall plant with about 10 nice branches down to the nub. That was one of 10 plants we put in because of the flowers. Time to get a fox! We just discovered malva because it blooms continuously until frost and bought it in a garden/landscape center. Not sure where you are, but looks like it is wild forage for you and your bunnies. I plan to fence them now and spray with repellent to keep dang pesky rabbits out of our large, diverse flower bed. Had no idea they relish them. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete