2015-08-23

Experiments with Root Crops

Farmers have been growing root crops to feed livestock for many centuries. They can be stored through the winter and are a high energy source of food that help animals keep their weight on. I'm still in the experimental phase with root crops. My hope is to find options that are easy to grow and will provide that extra nutrition to help a doe keep producing well through winter without commercial feed. I'm looking at root crops to be supplement not the sole feed. I'd keep hay and branches as the core feed.

Last year I grew a lot of purple top turnips. They grew quickly and did well in cool weather but got woody and wormy in the heat. The rabbits ate them but not enthusiastically. Turnips are a brassica and while rabbits can eat them, I don't consider it safe to feed in large quantity.

I've read that fodder beets can reach 20 pounds and that they are very palatable and keep the rabbits fat. I'll be able to experiment a little bit this year but I've only had meagre success growing them so far. I've had a lot of problems with insect damage and they've been growing slow. It's late August and I planted in mid April but only seeing medium sized beet roots so far.
Carrots are good but I've never been good at raising them in large quantity. I kept some in the ground through the winter. They were still good in the Spring and the rabbits loved them. Rabbits love both tops and root.
Fodder beets - not doing too great for me

Sunchokes - rabbits eat the top and the tubers

This Spring I planted Jerusalem Artichokes in part of my front yard. Jerusalem artichokes, also called sunchokes, are in the sunflower family. They are in the front because it's claimed they can be invasive and hard to eradicate once established, so I didn't want to take space where I grow vegetables. They are now over 8 feet tall and growing really well. They are still not in flower which I hope means they are putting all their energy in producing tubers. My rabbits like the foliage and younger stems. My family will try the roots ourselves after the tops are frozen in November to see how we like them ourselves. Here's a video I found that gives me reason to suspect they'll make a great additional winter feed. Once the top is dead, I plan to let it dry then chip them up into mulch and save some of the chips for nest bedding. If these prove to be a good feed source, next year I will be expanding my patch to take up that entire section of lawn. The nice thing about sunchokes is that they grow like a weed and I don't need to buy seed and replant every year.


I'll write more on my success and failures with root crops as I gain more experience with them.

1 comment:

  1. Sunchokes do not flower until later in the season but I would not worry about getting tubers. These plants are prolific producers and you will have a harder time getting them all rather than not getting enough. I find the tubers to be very tasty. I didn't know that rabbits could eat them to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete