2016-02-25

Experiments in fermentation

What's in common between a rabbit, kimchee, sauerkraut, old fashioned ginger ale and a ginger bug?
Answer: They are all fermenting

sauerkraut, kimchee, ginger ale & ginger bug
4 month old buck

















I've got time to do one last experiment over the next few weeks before winter ends. I've been feeding this young buck both pellets and branches from chinese elm and russian olive for a few weeks now. Today, I'm cutting off the pellets and we'll monitor his weight change. He weighs 9.28 pounds and is 4 months + 10 days old as of February 25, 2016. Well see how well this guy ferments tree bark, twigs and buds.



Update

After one month of eating nothing but dormant tree branches, he's still healthy. He did lose one pound but is still in good condition. Just lean instead of fat. To keep weight on and provide a boost for a doe and her litter, I would add some root crops or squash to the diet. I'll have to run a test on that next winter. My patch of jerusalem artichokes produced about 200 pounds of tubers and the rabbits enjoy them. They are very easy to grow so, I'll expand that plot.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David! Where are you located in Utah? I would really love to learn how to process rabbit, would you be interested in teaching a class or anything? A couple of my relatives are interested in survival tactics and homesteading, I thought it would be fun to try something like this! Let me know? If you're interested, my email is justjenmakeup@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete